Registration deadline: 20 November 2022
Easttopics Talks dates: 26-27 November 2022
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Course fee: 50 EUR
- Early bird fee: 35 EUR until 23 October 2022
- Regular fee: 50 EUR from 24 October 2022
Application process: https://forms.gle/QFoXnHR2JaXY9mxDA
The East Course curatorial course invites emerging curators to work together with professionals in order to gain new skills and perspectives on curating. East Course consists of intense sessions comprising lectures and workshops. The program gives an opportunity to hear the freshest and most powerful voices of the art world and the stories, strategies and goals that inspire them. It expands on trajectories, methodologies and ideas specific to “museum,” rarely addressed, perhaps even neglected within academic and experimental curatorial programs which usually focus on the public and non-profit spheres of contemporary art.
About Luca Lo Pinto:
Born in 1981, Luca Lo Pinto is the Art Director of MACRO – Museo d’Arte Contemporanea in Rome. From 2014 to 2019 he acted as curator of Kunsthalle Wien. He is co-founder of the NERO magazine and publishing house. He has organised a series of one-man shows with artists such as Simone Forti, Nathalie du Pasquier, Jason Dodge, Tony Cokes, Camille Henrot, Olaf Nicolai, Pierre Bismuth, Babette Mangolte, Lawrence Weiner, Gelatin & Liam Gillick, Charlemagne Palestine and collective exhibitions entitled Time is Thirsty, Publishing as an artistic toolbox 1989-2017, More Than Just Words, Individual Stories, and Function Follows Vision, Vision Follows Reality. His other curatorial projects include Luca Vitone – Io, Luca (PAC); XVI Quadriennale d’Arte (Palazzo delle Esposizioni); Le Regole del gioco (Fondazione Achille Castiglioni); Trapped in the Closet (FRAC Champagne Ardenne); Antigrazioso (Palais de Tokyo); AnderSennoSogno (Museo H.C. Andersen); D’après Giorgio (Fondazione Giorgio De Chirico); and Conversation Pieces (Museo Praz). His written work has been published in numerous catalogues and international periodicals. He has also edited publications with various artists, including Emilio Prini, Alexandre Singh, Mario Diacono and Mario Garcia Torres. In 2012 he edited the publication Documenta 1955-2012.
Museum forgotten by memory /// Lecture
Today, institutions are more and more embedded in the fabric of the culture industry while the museum should be a space where the meaning of things is constantly negotiated.
How to aspire to undermine the cornerstones and principles of the museum? Institutions should be not seen as spaces where to display art objects but as contested spaces that can activate an ongoing process of self-questioning. Imagination is a powerful tool to offer new possibilities of exhibition making by withdrawing from the apparatus of reality.
Structure of the course:
Through this two-day programme, you will investigate different modes of curatorial practice and build your knowledge and skills by engaging in workshops, presentations, case-studies and discussions with curator Luca lo Pinto in person.
The workshops aim to:
- identify practices that try to trigger an impulse in local artistic and cultural life in contexts affected by global institutions and events;
- highlight how the relationship between these different approaches to art can be problematic, productive or just parallel;
- identify common strategies for developing generative practices directly related to these type of contextual situations.
Day#1 MORNING SESSION 10:00-12:00
Lecture and case-study
Day#1 AFTERNOON SESSION 14:00-16:00
Day#2 MORNING SESSION 10:00-12:00
Lecture and case-study
Day#2 AFTERNOON SESSION 14:00-16:00
- enhance your professional confidence after discovering further nuances and making bolder decisions in your practice;
- further develop your understanding of how to manage and edit the different elements composing the creation of a self-led contemporary art project;
- acquire new techniques and methodological tools to put into practice;
- experience critical, creative and insightful thinking;
- interact and network with peers from different backgrounds;
- receive an Easttopics Certificate of Attendance assessing that you completed the course.