Krakow branch of the Central Office for Art Exhibitions (BWA) was established. In 1962 the branch became independent of the Warsaw head office and three years later, in 1965, a two-storey pavilion designed especially for its needs was erected at 3a Szczepański Square. Its exhibition space of ca. 1000 m² was gigantic, as for those times. The author of the building design was Krystyna Tołłoczko-Różyska, while the distinctive facade made of concrete casts of wooden formwork was designed by Stefan Borzęcki and Antoni Hajdecki. Until the 1990s Bunkier Sztuki was the only specimen of modern architecture within the historic Krakow Old Town.